Cableguard™ Elastomeric Cable Wrap System Ensures Iconic Beauty And Safety
Whether a cable supported bridge project calls for protection of new and innovative designs or securing classic spans, D.S. Brown’s Cableguard™ Elastomeric Cable Wrap System is the solution to ensure long-term protection against corrosion.
Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System is an integral system element in the ongoing dehumidification of suspension bridge cables. From the beautiful Yavuz Sultan Selim Bridge in Istanbul … to the innovative Dongting Lake (China) Bridge … to the century-old Manhattan Bridge in NYC, the Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System eliminates the possibility of corrosion and extends the life of these amazing structures.
Developed exclusively for bridge cables, the Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System is applicable during construction or rehabilitation of cable-stayed and suspension bridges. Once applied, the 2.3-mm-thick protective wrap is heated to form a watertight covering with a lifespan of at least 50 years. Environmentally safe and easy to install, Cableguard eliminates the possibility of corrosion by keeping wrapped suspension bridge cables moisture free and watertight. Cableguard also reduces future maintenance costs.
Cable Corrosion Protection
Due to the premature failure of corrosion protection systems on cable supported structures, D.S. Brown began development of its patented Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System in the early 1990s. Key features of the Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System include:
- Lowest lifecycle cost for cable corrosion protection
- Flexible and watertight
- Environmentally friendly
- Simple installation
- Available in many colors
Protecting innovative and classic structures
Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System has been integral to international bridge projects in England, China, Scotland, Mexico, France, Turkey, Denmark, Sweden, and Spain. In the U.S., Cableguard has been installed on landmark structures such as Wilmington’s Delaware Memorial and Philadelphia’s Walt Whitman Bridges. Cableguard was also key in protecting the venerable Manhattan Bridge, one of the oldest, largest and busiest of New York City’s 2,027 bridges.
Considered the forerunner of modern suspension bridges, the 110-year-old Manhattan Bridge served as the model for many of the record-breaking spans built in the first half of the 20th century.
Some 185,000 linear feet of D.S. Brown’s Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System wrap was applied in the Manhattan Bridge project helping
to ensure the cable-suspension bridge will enjoy another 100 years.
“Corrosion is the enemy of cable-supported bridges and the Manhattan Bridge is a great example of America’s enormous investment in critical infrastructure,” Vice President of Sales & Marketing Tom Lewis said. “When properly maintained and with investment in materials and processes, D.S. Brown can ensure that amazing bridges like this will continue to serve for decades to come.”
Resources & Support for the Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System
- Review the D.S. Brown Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System installation manual.
- Examples of Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System projects? View the Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System Projects list.
- Is there video of the Cableguard Elastomeric Cable Wrap System?
About the D.S. Brown Company
The D.S. Brown Company, founded in 1890, designs, supplies and manufactures engineered rubber, steel and concrete products for the transportation and infrastructure sector. D.S. Brown’s proprietary product line includes expansion joints, structural bearings, and waterproofing systems for constructing and rehabilitating highways and bridges. D.S. Brown’s home office and manufacturing facilities are in North Baltimore, Ohio.
D.S. Brown is fully integrated, performing and controlling all manufacturing processes internally:
- Research and Development
- Engineering Design/CAD Detailing
- Extruding, Molding and Testing
- Custom Steel Fabrication and Machining
D.S. Brown has the most comprehensive product-line serving the transportation industry. We manufacture solutions for the most challenging infrastructure applications. Our high-quality engineered products are available worldwide for new construction and rehabilitation of bridges, highways, airfields, pavements, and parking structures.
- Bridges: Since the early 1960s, D.S. Brown has provided expansion joint systems and specialty products for bridges around the globe. Learn more about our solutions for bridges.
- Pavements: Building highways and airport pavements to last is a challenging engineering assignment, especially when the pavement must withstand heavy traffic, weather extremes, debilitating fuels and de-icing chemicals. You need reliable products with a proven track record. Learn more about our solutions for pavements.
- Architectural: D.S. Brown provides a variety of expansion joint products for parking garages and other architectural applications. Learn more about our architectural solutions.
- Concrete Repair: D.S. Brown offers a variety of cementitious and composite solutions for various concrete repair projects. Learn more about our concrete repair solutions.
Contact D.S. Brown
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube. Contact a D.S. Brown sales representative today.