Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals Are The Right Solution For Regional Airports
Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals and DSB 1516 Lubricant Adhesive were used in the recent Southeast Iowa Regional Airport runway reconstruction. Credit – John Gaines
Smaller regional airports are leveraging Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals and their long lifespan for projects including runway reconstruction, runway rehabilitation and runway extension.
Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals for concrete pavement have one main purpose: to prevent water and debris from entering the joint. If that happens, the pavement can crack, chip, buckle and prematurely deteriorate. This FAA-approved joint sealant has the lowest lifecycle costs and saves regional airports on maintenance overhead and rehabilitation costs.
Three regional Iowa airports completed Delastic projects in 2020:
- Southeast Iowa Regional Airport – Runway Reconstruction
- Knoxville Municipal Airport – Runway Rehabilitation
- Mt. Pleasant Municipal Airport – Runway Extension
The Southeast Iowa Regional Airport in Burlington, Iowa was a larger scale project involving a reconstructed runway and additional pavement.
Each regional airport took advantage of Airport Improvement Program (AIP) funding for their projects. Smaller general aviation (GA) airports do not have the funding mechanisms like parking and concessions to cover future out-of-pocket maintenance. Therefore, by utilizing Delastic Preformed Pavement Seals, these airports receive a long-lasting joint sealant funded mainly by AIP funding while eliminating the cost of joint seal maintenance in the near term.
McClure Engineering, Henriksen Contracting and Fahrner Asphalt were partners on the Iowa airport projects.
Delastic® Installation Overview
Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals are also known as compression joint seals. They are installed in a compressed state and remain in contact with the joint walls while allowing the concrete pavement to expand and contract during temperature changes. Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals are extruded from compounds of polychloropene, which meet or exceed current ASTM standard specifications.
There are other joint seal products available, but each has its disadvantages. Silicone sealants must be installed under very clean and dry conditions to perform properly. This cleanliness requirement is often difficult to achieve in a construction environment. Hot pour asphalt systems do not age well and require the pavement joints to be resealed often, significantly increasing the overall cost.
Advantages of Delastic®
Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals are the primary sealing system for concrete pavement slabs in highways, airport aprons and runways. Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals offer these distinct advantages:
- Dramatic reduction in concrete joint spalling
- Extended performance life (15-25 years)
- Resistance to jet fuel, de-icing fluids and other chemicals
- Installation is not weather sensitive
- Speed of installation
- Product cleanliness
- No sandblasting required
- Ease of inspection
- Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals meet or exceed ASTM D 2628, FAA P604, AASHTO M-220, USACE 02762, USACE 32- 13-73 and CRD-C 548 Standard Specifications
Go to the D.S. Brown Online Store for Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals and DSB 1516 Lubricant Adhesive or contact your D.S. Brown pavement representatives – Uriah Carpenter (Central) | Ryan Sypherd (West) | Darren Johnson (East) to purchase products.
Training for Delastic® and Delastall® Kompressor
D.S. Brown often hosts training sessions for Delastic Preformed Pavement Seals, which cover a variety of topics, including how to successfully install pavement seals using our Delastall® Kompressor installation machine. Attendees receive classroom instruction, hands-on installation demos, and are guided through recommended maintenance protocols for the Delastall® Kompressor.
A positive training return on investment is quickly realized with properly installed products and higher productivity.
Resources & Support for Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals
Review the . . .
- Delastic Preformed Pavement Seals brochure
- Installation Tools: Delastall Automatic Installer Kompressor Owner’s Manual
- Installation Tools: Delastall Kompressor Parts Drawing/List
- Specifications: Preformed Polychloroprene Compression Joint Seal
- Datasheet: DSB 1516 Lubricant Adhesive
- Safety Data Sheet: Polychloroprene Extruded Products
- Safety Data Sheet: Aron Alpha Type 202F
- Safety Data Sheet: DSB 1516 Lubricant Adhesive
- Purchase: Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals
- Purchase: DSB 1516 Lubricant Adhesive
- Purchase: 1521-Adhesive (Aron Alpha 202F)
- Case Studies: Spaceport America Runway
- Case Studies: MidAmerican St. Louis Airport
- PDF Drawings: E-437, E-562, E-686, E-816, E-1006, E-1256, V-1625, E-2000, E-2500, E-3000,
About the D.S. Brown Company
The D.S. Brown Company, founded in 1890, designs, supplies, and manufactures engineered rubber, steel and concrete products for the transportation and infrastructure sector. D.S. Brown’s proprietary product line includes expansion joints, structural bearings, and waterproofing systems for constructing and rehabilitating highways and bridges. D.S. Brown’s home office and manufacturing facilities are in North Baltimore, Ohio.
D.S. Brown is fully integrated, performing and controlling all manufacturing processes internally:
- Research and Development
- Engineering Design/CAD Detailing
- Extruding, Molding and Testing
- Custom Steel Fabrication and Machining
D.S. Brown has the most comprehensive product line serving the transportation industry. We manufacture solutions for the most challenging infrastructure applications. Our high-quality engineered products are available worldwide for new construction and rehabilitation of bridges, highways, airfields, pavements, and parking structures.
- Bridges: Since the early 1960s, D.S. Brown has provided expansion joint systems and specialty products for bridges around the globe. Learn more about our solutions for bridges.
- Pavements: Building highways and airport pavements to last is a challenging engineering assignment, especially when the pavement must withstand heavy traffic, weather extremes, debilitating fuels and de-icing chemicals. You need reliable products with a proven track record. Learn more about our solutions for pavements.
- Architectural: D.S. Brown provides a variety of expansion joint products for parking garages and other architectural applications. Learn more about our architectural solutions.
Contact D.S. Brown
Contact your D.S. Brown pavement representatives – Uriah Carpenter (Central) | Ryan Sypherd (West) | Darren Johnson (East). You can also find more information about D.S. Brown on our Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube channels.